In modern times, companies are embarking on mobile application development to meet business requirements, whether it is Windows Mobile development, Blackberry, iPhone, or Android. Hence, several requirements have emerged when it comes to mobile platforms. The most important parameters that need to be considered are listed below.
(1) Integration of Desktop Application: This includes precise data synchronisation with encryption and ability for managing data offline. If you require prompt access to important data that is stored on your personal computer, including emails, customer data, event alerts, and then adequate integration is essential.
(2) Multitasking: Because mobile device resources have a limited character, multitasking is one of the primary ways for increasing productivity. Although this is fine with mobile development for Windows, problems could arise for Android or iPhone developers.
(3) Minimisation in the amount traffic between a mobile device and a server, which results in saving of both cost and time.
(4) User-friendly interface that allows necessary tasks to be accomplished by minimal operations.
(5) Finally, one of the last requirements is TCO (total cost of ownership) and related support costs. Implementing a mobile platform across an enterprise needs to be estimated well beforehand and factors such as upgrade costs and support are equally important.
Every platform provider offers its own mobile solutions in order to satisfy these requirements.
However, according to a survey that was recently conducted, mobile development for Windows is still highly dominant when compared to Android, Mac OS, and RIM OS development. Nearly 50% of mobile developers are currently targeting either WM 5.0 or WM 6.0 platforms. The reasons for scores of businesses operating on Windows Mobile are overwhelming, the most popular ones being mentioned below:
- Besides Outlook integration, Win Mobile offers myriad Microsoft Office Mobile applications, such as PowerPoint Mobile, Excel Mobile and Word Mobile. These applications have gained such phenomenal popularity that they are implemented universally across a wide range of industries.
- The Windows Mobile platform’s TCO is nearly 15% to 24% lower than that of RIM Blackberry platform over a time period of three years. What’s more, you need not be surprised because the native support of Exchange ActiveSync eliminates the need for investing in additional software, integration, and several other Windows Mobile development efforts.
- Because Win Mobile is .NET platform, it gives users the possibility of gaining all advantages of Microsoft-based applications, including Microsoft Office.
Despite much criticism for being a clumsy user interface, Windows Mobile is largely a business-oriented technology in comparison with other mobile platforms. This is primarily determined by Microsoft’s marketing strategy with regard to Windows Mobile development. The upside about it all is competition that effectively drives all these platform providers to innovations and new enhancements, which, in turn, assists in satisfying the requirements that have been mentioned toward business application development.
Microsoft, being an emerging platform, is all set to capture the market by luring developers to join WP7. Despite the fact that iOS and Android-based devices are most prominent, Windows Mobile development is slowly but steadily gaining ground and catching up.